Recipe: Humble Herb’s lemongrass fruity flapjacks
PUBLISHED: 15:18 14 October 2016 | UPDATED: 16:08 14 October 2016
A lunch or teatime fruity snack with a sweet scent of lemongrass
Ingredients (9-12 bars)
2 lemongrass stalks
300g porridge oats
100g golden sugar
150g golden syrup
1 tsp olive oil
1 lined 20cm x 8cm tin
Method (Prep time 30 mins)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C. Line the baking tin with greaseproof paper then brush the paper with olive oil.
2. Put the butter in a large pan then place the pan on a low heat until the butter has melted.
3. Take the lemongrass and bash them slightly to release their flavour, then place the stalks in the butter on a very low heat for two minutes.
4. Once the lemongrass has released its flavour, carefully take out the stalks, then add the golden sugar and syrup to the butter. Stir slowly until the sugar and syrup has dissolved.
5. Take the mixture off the heat and gradually mix in the porridge oats.
6. Slowly add the sultanas, then place the mixture in the baking tin and press down with a back of a wooden spoon until the mixture is even.
7. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Once cooked, leave to cool.
8. When cool, remove from the tin and cut into slices.
Recipe by Tina Richardson, Stanstead Abbotts-based author of A Cook’s Guide to Herbs