Recipe: Mac 'n' cheese with flat leaf parsley
PUBLISHED: 16:17 19 February 2018
Tina Richardson's Humble Herb recipe is 'rich hearty food with a pungent parsley twist'
Ingredients (for 4-6)
1 bunch chopped flat leaf parsley
100g plain flour
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pint whole milk
45 tpsp butter milk
400g mature grated cheddar
50g brown breadcrumbs
1 tsp nutmeg
450g dried macaroni
100g bacon lardons
30g parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the plain flour and cook for a minute. Add the mustard, then take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk and buttermilk.
2. Add the chopped parsley, put the pan back on the heat and cook the sauce, stirring constantly until it is thick and bubbling.
3. Take the pan off the heat and add the grated cheddar, keep stirring until the cheese has melted, then season with black pepper and nutmeg.
4. Put the macaroni in a large pan of salted boiling water (1 tsp of salt) for about 10 minutes or until al dente, then drain well.
5. Butter an ovenproof dish that’s about 35x20cm in size and preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C. Fry the bacon lardons until crisp and add the lardons to the cheese sauce. Stir the cooked macaroni into the sauce and pour everything into the buttered dish.
6. Mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese and scatter them over the top. Bake for 25–30 minutes until golden and bubbling. It’s great served with a crisp Waldorf salad.
Recipe by Tina Richardson, Stanstead Abbotts author of A Cook’s Guide to Herbs