Recipe: Roasted root vegetable Wellington
PUBLISHED: 11:29 09 December 2019 | UPDATED: 11:29 09 December 2019
Cricketers of Redbourn
The Cricketers of Redbourn shares its recipe for a roasted root vegetable Wellington, the perfect main dish for a vegetarian at Christmas
Ingredients (per person)
For the Wellington:
¼ onion, diced
¼ butternut squash, peeled and diced
15g dried cranberries
Handful baby spinach
Handful curly kale
Beaten egg yolk
20cm sq sheet puff pastry
Sprig of sage
Knob of butter
Seasoning to taste
For the sauce:
100g wild mushrooms
100ml double cream
Handful dried porcini
Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
Method for the Wellington
- Roast the butternut squash in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes with the sage until tender.
- Gently fry the onion in a tiny amount of olive oil for one to two minutes. Then add all the other Wellington ingredients except for the kale and gently mix together for one minute.
- Insert the puff pastry into a suitable baking dish to form the Wellington. Add all the cooked ingredients and close the top by folding the pastry over. Brush with the yolk and place in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- In the last five minutes of the Wellington cooking add the kale to a pan of boiling water and gently blanche. Once blanched add it to a pan with the butter and gently stir for 1-2 minutes.
Method for the sauce
- Wash the dried porcini and place in boiling water for 10 minutes then blend the mushrooms in a food processor.
- Fry the wild mushrooms with a little olive oil along with the blended porcini for two to three minutes then add the cream and simmer for two minutes.
- To serve, place the kale on a plate alongside the Wellington, add the parsley to the sauce, gently stir, then pour over the Wellington and kale.
Recipe by The Cricketers of Redbourn, thecricketersofredbourn.co.uk