Recipe: Tarragon berry compote
PUBLISHED: 09:00 22 August 2016
Use summer berries and herbs in this tangy compote with an aniseed twist. Delicious served with baked scones and clotted cream for afternoon tea
500g mixed berries: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and red currants
2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
100g caster sugar
Juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp water
1. Hull and quarter the strawberries and place in a small pan.
2. Add the remaining berries to the pan and add the caster sugar and tarragon.
3. Add two tablespoon of water to the pan and the lemon juice.
4. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring slowly.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for at least two hours.
6. Once cooled, place the compote in a clean sterilized jar to store or freeze (for up to two months).
Recipe by Tina Richardson, Stanstead Abbotts-based author of A Cook’s Guide to Herbs