Easter recipe: Thyme hot cross bun pudding
PUBLISHED: 09:13 22 March 2016 | UPDATED: 09:13 22 March 2016
A delicious quick and easy dessert, great for using up old hot cross buns
Thyme hot cross bun pudding recipe
6 hot cross buns
8 sprigs of thyme
2 large eggs
1tbsp caster sugar
(Prep 15 mins)
1. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas mark three.
2. Grease a large ovenproof dish with a little of the butter, making sure the sides of the dish are well greased.
3. Cut the hot cross buns in half and butter them like sandwiches. Once buttered, cut the buns into halves and place in the ovenproof dish.
4. Beat the eggs, milk and sugar together in a bowl and sprinkle in the thyme leaves, leaving a couple of sprigs for decoration.
5. Pour the milk mixture over the buns and sprinkle the sultanas on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the buns have soaked up the liquid and their tops have become golden.
7. Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave to rest for five minutes and garnish with the remaining sprigs of thyme before serving.
Recipe by Tina Richardson,
Stanstead Abbotts-based author of
A Cook’s Guide to Herbs