Restaurant recipe: Jacob’s ladder by The Grove
PUBLISHED: 11:50 17 February 2016 | UPDATED: 11:50 17 February 2016
The Grove Hotel shares its recipe for show-stopping short-rib beef
Ingredients (for four)
4 Jacob’s ladder (short-rib beef)
2 onions halved
3 carrots quartered
1 head of garlic peeled
1 bottle red wine
2 litres beef stock
For the brine
2 litres water
200g rock salt
20g pink salt (sel rose)
1 tbsp black peppercorns
¼ bunch thyme
1. Combine the brine ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil, then leave to cool and infuse.
2. Once cold, pour over the Jacob’s ladder (make sure the beef is completely covered) and leave for six hours in the fridge.
3. Remove from the brine solution and pat dry the beef and discard the brine.
4. Seal the beef in a hot pan (you can use a heavy-bottomed saucepan or casserole dish), take it to a golden colour all over.
5. Remove the beef and colour all the vegetables off very lightly in the saucepan.
6. Once coloured, return the beef to the pan and add the bottle of red wine. Reduce the wine by half and add the beef stock, then bring to the boil and place a lid on the pan.
7. Place the saucepan or casserole into a pre-heated oven at 150°c for about 4.5 hours.
8. Once cooked, leave the beef to sit in its own cooking liquid until ready to serve. It will remain hot for up to an hour. Best served with some luxurious buttery mashed potatoes, sliced pickled onions and a few crisp onion rings.
Restaurant recipe by Colette’s at The Grove, Chandler’s Cross