Restaurant recipe: The Radcliffe's haunch of venison
PUBLISHED: 09:39 22 April 2016
The Hitchin restaurant's recipe comes with a redcurrant and red wine sauce
4x200g venison haunch,
800g Maris Piper potatoes,
15cl double cream,
1l venison stock,
20cl red wine,
2 sprigs thyme,
4 bay leaves,
1tsp juniper berries,
Coarse ground black pepper,
2 Golden Delicious apples,
6tsp redcurrant jelly,
2 cloves garlic,
5g cocoa powder,
10g dark chocolate,
¼ bunch chives to garnish
1. Make a marinade by gently heating the onion, carrot, bay leaves, thyme, juniper berries, redcurrant jelly and garlic. Leave to cool then add the venison and leave to marinate for two days.
2. Boil the potatoes for mash and finish with cream and butter.
3. Peel the carrots, cut into batons and blanche in boiling water.
4. Cut the apple in half across the middle, core the halves and trim.
5. Take the venison out of the marinade and pat dry. Reduce the marinade while combining with the red wine to a sauce consistency then pass through a fine sieve. Add the dark chocolate and cocoa powder and reduce a little more.
6. Pan fry the venison to the desired stage (as you would a steak) and then rest it.
7. Pan fry the apple and carrot batons in a little butter.
8. Finish the sauce with black pepper and double cream.
9. Dress as shown above.
Recipe by The Radcliffe, Hitchin