Restaurant recipe: Spicy Scotch bonnet eggs
PUBLISHED: 13:45 05 November 2019 | UPDATED: 13:45 05 November 2019
Tom Fallon Photography
The Dylans Kings Arms, St Albans shares its restaurant recipe for delicious and spicy Scotch Bonnet Eggs
Ingredients (for four)
320g Dingley Dell pork sausage meat
1 red onion, finely chopped
½ Scotch Bonnet chilli (seeds removed), finely chopped
A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
Zest of one lime
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
½ tbsp salt
½ tbsp black pepper
- Boil four eggs for seven minutes in rapidly boiling water. Remove and put into iced water to cool rapidly.
- Carefully remove the eggshell and put the eggs to one side.
- Combine the sausage meat, onion, chilli, coriander, lime zest, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well and divide into four.
- Carefully wrap each egg in the sausage mix, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
- Whisk the remaining raw eggs in a bowl. Roll the Scotch eggs in flour, then dip into the whisked eggs then the panko, coating evenly.
- Deep fry the crumbed eggs at 80C for seven minutes. Remove and rest for two minutes, then cut in half and serve hot.
Recipe by Dylans Kings Arms, St Albans. dylanskingsarms.com