Recipe: puff pastry mince pies with basil cream
PUBLISHED: 10:07 06 January 2017
Check out this delicious recipe for mince pies with sweet basil cream. Perfect for the festive party season
Ingredients (for nine pies)
Prep: 15-20 mins
Bake: 20-25 mins
250g puff pastry
1 tbsp rosemary
250g mince meat
2 tbsp brandy (optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
butter for greasing
1 beaten egg
1 muffin or cup cake tin
100ml double cream
2 tsp basil leaves, chopped
1 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Grease the tin with the butter until all the pockets are thoroughly greased.
3. Place the pastry on a smooth surface and with a 3-inch cutter press out nine pie bases and place in the tin.
4. With the rest of the pastry, cut out nine two-inch lids and leave to one side.
5. Put the mincemeat in a bowl and add the cinnamon, fresh rosemary and brandy (if wanted) and stir.
6. Place the mixture into each pie, making sure not to overfill. Then brush the edges with the beaten egg. Place the lids on top of the pies, pressing slightly at the edges to seal.
7. Gently brush the lids of the pies with the remainder of the beaten egg to glaze, then pop in the oven for 20-25 mins until the pastry is golden.
8. Take out of the oven and leave to cool slightly, then dust with a little icing sugar.
9. In a jug or bowl, add the double cream, basil and icing sugar and whisk until the cream has soft peaks.
10. Serve the cream with the warm mince pies.
Recipe by Tina Richardson, Stanstead Abbotts author of A Cook’s Guide to Herbs