Metallic Magic: Tips for using the metallic homewares trend
PUBLISHED: 13:57 11 November 2015 | UPDATED: 13:57 11 November 2015
Katie Watson, interior designer at Fishpools, Waltham Cross, gives a guide to adding the beauty of metal to your home
Perfect for giving your décor an immediate style upgrade, metallic accents will inject a sophisticated touch as well as introduce warmth and texture. From copper, brass and gold to chrome and nickel there’s a glimmering array of gilded finishes to choose from and just as many ways to style them.
1. Gold and brass finishes are tried and tested classics. A dash of gilt here and there will lend your space an instant air of opulence and can be paired with almost any colour for a richer and brighter appearance.
2. If you’re brave enough to go bold, combine larger metallic pieces such as a coffee table with soft furnishings or walls in pigment heavy hues such as navy blue or emerald green.
3. For a more subtle feel, smaller accent pieces can be contrasted with neutral shades and rustic finishes for an understated look with a luxe edge.
4. Our love of copper is still going strong and not without good reason, these tones are a great way to bring cosiness to a room that has a refined look. Pendant lights hung in a group of three make for a stunning centre piece and will glow beautifully when lit.
5. For a contemporary touch, choose pieces with reflective surfaces such as chrome and mirrored finishes. These will bounce light around the room, giving it a super-sleek feel.
Pictured: Glenbrook range with copper accessories