6 ISSUES FOR £6 Subscribe to Hertfordshire Life today CLICK HERE

100 years online in Cuffley, Hertfordshire

PUBLISHED: 01:15 02 April 2010 | UPDATED: 17:00 20 February 2013

VILLAGERS in Cuffley will this month be marking the day a train rolled into their new station for the first time, 100 years ago.

VILLAGERS in Cuffley will this month be marking the day a train rolled into their new station for the first time, 100 years ago.


A series of events has been planned to mark the centenary of the opening of the Great Northern Railway extension Grange Park to Cuffley on April 4, 1910.


Between 1871 and 1910 the line, now known as The Hertford Loop, had terminated at Windmill Hill in Enfield, a short distance from the station we now know as Enfield Chase.


When the line was extended to Cuffley & Goffs Oak later changed to Cuffley in 1971 new stations were also opened at Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill and Crews Hill. Whilst there was little demand for services to and from Cuffley in the years following the opening, the station was certainly put on the map with huge crowds travelling from London to see the remains of the German Airship shot down on September 3, 1916 by Leefe Robinson VC.


In August 1912 construction work started to create a single line 15 miles from Cuffley via Hertford to Langley Junction, with connection to the main line south of Stevenage. This section included the 2,684 yards long Ponsbourne Tunnel between Cuffley and Bayford. The line was opened for goods traffic in 1918.


In 1920 double tracking of the line was achieved and passenger services opened in 1924 with stations at Bayford, Hertford North, Stapleford and Watton-at-Stone.


The extension to Cuffley led to the development of the village and a series of exhibitions and events are being held to commemorate it.


On April 6 a plaque donated by the Parish Council will be unveiled in Cuffley Station booking office and an exhibition will open at Cuffley Library, which will run until April 21.


The extension is the subject of The Cuffley Industrial Heritage Society at their monthly meeting on Tuesday, April 13 in Northaw Village Hall at 8pm.


When the exhibition ends in Cuffley Library, an enlarged display to include details of Stations in the Enfield Area will be transferred to Forty Hall. The exhibition Making Tracks runs from April 28 to June 20 and will be open Wednesdays to Sundays, 11am to 4pm. On Saturday, May 1 model railway layouts will also be in operation.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hertfordshire